Thursday, November 19, 2009

Arguably the greatest day of the year.

It was the seventh of the eleventh and i was struggling through a shit saturday at the gtang, dreaming of thunder and how to go about this wilderness kayaking adventure that's going to happen early next year, all the while trying to cope with the knowledge i'd missed slurpee dayas a customer had told me that it ended at 11am. I was skeptical at first but the proof was in his proverbial pudding as he was preaching about failed efforts to attain free slurp action at two of his favoured haunts. Clearly that guy was an idiot. I talked kane into going to the gabba 7-11 to test this guys douchpothesis and as we walked through the door, hit by the comforting smells of slurpee dregs, i glanced across to the register man and he was holding two cups with a rather inquisitive look on his face and with that, it had begun!

Stop 1- Gabba 4:31pm

as the taste of that first lime, grape and strawberry cup was fully appreciated by my taste buds i knew that i was going to force my way through sleep depravation to make the most of this extraordinary event. I made a call to the great Tom Pyle to be my chief editorial officer, lighting technician and props manager for the night to see if he would be able to get into action on such a short notice. His keeness solidified my excitement and high-hopes for the happening over the next 5 hours.

We aimed high, we went high- almost high enough.
I finally picked tom up, after much time wasting, around 7:42- with little time for pleasantries.

don't worry, im almost done talking
Our first stop was the 7-11 just up from indro train station. we decided that before we undergo this adventure we should acquire suitable instruments for covering this event on pen and paper. Thanks to p-trons resourceful interior we managed to find a sharpie but shockingly, no paper suitable for writing. We went into 7-11 and found a suitable notepad and jotted down notes on our excitement and expectations for the night. Brimming with excitement we ran to the counter and blurted out the celebratory dictum, but faster than tom could fill up a cup of high-flow citrus kick with taurine, we came crashing down to earth as the words 'we've got no cups left' sunk into our gleeful minds. Completely shattered we dragged our feet out of the shop before realizing we hadn't paid for the notepad... elation!!




no cups: sad faces all round, except that dbag






Leichardt Street

This stop, was for me, by far the most memorable and rewarding. I was approached by the owner, who was incredibly nice and had a sick chat with- ignoring the pronunciation barrier, to get some shots of him giving out free slurpees, his shop and some candids of him and his co-workers. Oh! and the slurpees were fkn amazing...






after wrapping up the leichardt haunt we drove down and managed to find a park at QUT where we had a quick breather and some time for tom to draw.

17 possum


19 big group





25 kangaroo


we saw them again! yayy!!

28 banana









I didn't think about if beforehand, but we had just finished edward street and were turning north to get back to elizabeth (maybe? this city is a piece of shit and makes no sense) time- around 10:35, that something amazing happened. Almost simultaneously, both of us lost our shit. It could've been the combination of hot weather and freezing matter inside us, 13 to 16 (it's hazy) slurpees in the last three hours, delirium from no sleep or food since lunchtime or maybe the taurine additives in the blueberry kick we were enduring through- we will never fully understand, but it was very very strange...

i hope everyone got amongst the festivities and had a goood day!

i was going to scan the notepad that Tom waved his magic wand over and put it up here, but my scanner doesn't work and the cd is long gone. i tried downloading something to fix it but that didn't work at all.. so i decided im just gonna blue-tac them on my wall.. when i move out this thurdsay! yayyy